This online privacy statement applies to this website, which is published by an education, research, patient care or service area of the University of Washington (UW). UW is committed to respecting the privacy of individuals. By choosing to continue to use this UW website, you agree to UW’s collection and use of personal and non-personal information as described in this online privacy statement. This online privacy statement only governs the use and disclosure of information collected through this website.
The UW automatically collects the following information:
- The Internet Protocol (IP) address and Internet domain name that you used to access the Internet;
- The URL of the website from which you connected directly to the UW website;
- The date and time you accessed the UW website;
- The pages you visited, including information requested through your browser, your browser response, the page size you received in response to the request, and the marketing email or web page that sent you referred to the page you visited; and
- The web browser and operating system you used to access the UW website.
In addition, UW may ask you to provide certain personal information such as name, username, email address, mailing address, phone numbers or social media account information. UW may aggregate information collected during your visit to this website with other UW information.
Use of information
UW will only use your personal data on a legal basis to fulfill a legitimate interest of UW. UW may use the information collected during your visit to this website to:
- To manage and improve the user experience and preferences associated with this website and UW communications;
- Track how often people access or read UW content;
- Promote communications and manage your subscriptions to UW publications;
- Invite you and / or register (on request) to events that may be of interest to you;
- Optimize and personalize your online interactions with UW;
- Respond to your online requests for goods or services;
- Conduct research, education, training or online surveys;
- Identify anomalies in web traffic to help protect UW personal and institutional information; and
- Exercise UW legal rights, defend against legal claims, or respond to subpoenas, court orders or other legal proceedings.
The collection and use of personal information for purposes other than those described herein require additional and more specific notification or consent. Please see the University’s Privacy Notice and Consent Forms website for specific examples.
Disclosure or sharing of information
UW may use service providers and third party vendors to facilitate this website or the services provided by UW. These suppliers and suppliers may have access to the information that UW collects in order to fulfill their obligations to UW. UW is a state agency and, as such, may disclose or share information in recognition of applicable national, federal or international laws. This includes, but is not limited to the Washington Public Records Act, Revised Washington Code 42.56.
UW may use various technologies such as cookies, applets, scripts, server logs, custom URL parameters, tracking images, news and correspondence, or web analytics to collect information. . Depending on your browser, you may be able to disable certain collection methods. This may limit your ability to use certain features of this website.
UW may provide links on this website to other non-UW websites. UW may also partner with third parties to place UW-related advertisements on non-UW websites. Your use of non-UW websites is subject to the terms and conditions or privacy statements of the providers of those websites.
Children or Minors
UW does not knowingly collect personal information from children or minors as defined by the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) on its general websites. The collection and use of personal information of children or minors for other purposes is subject to additional and more specific notice or consent conditions. Please see the University’s Privacy Notice and Consent Forms website for specific examples.
The UW keeps your data for at least the minimum retention required according to the UW Records Retention Schedule (s) or for the duration of your relationship with UW.
Additional rights you may have regarding your data
Applicable laws may give you additional rights to request access to, or request the erasure, correction or transfer of your data. For example, the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR) grants certain rights to persons who resided / resided in the European Union when data was / is collected. If the EU GDPR applies to your data, you can request to see your data or request, to the extent permitted by law, that your data be corrected or erased. You can also object or request restrictions on how your data will be processed. You can request that your data be transmitted or transferred to another organization. Finally, to the extent permitted by law, you can withdraw the consent you have given to certain data processing operations, without penalty. If you decide to withdraw your consent at a later date, your withdrawal will not affect the legality of the processing of your data up to that point.
If you have any questions about the collection or use of the information, you should contact the UW organizational area to which you provided your information. The person responsible for decisions regarding the collection, use and online protection of personal data which are described here and which are subject to the EU GDPR is identified as the EU GDPR Controller on the website organisation.
If your privacy questions or concerns are not addressed after contacting the UW Organizational Area to which you have provided data, you can also contact:
Responsible for institutional confidentiality
Associate Vice-Rector for Privacy
EU GDPR Data Protection Officer
UW Privacy Office
Changes to this online privacy statement
UW may periodically update this privacy statement online. The revised statement will be posted at uw.edu/online/privacy.
Updated March 25, 2019 to include links to University privacy notices and consent forms
Updated May 24, 2018